Sunday, September 2, 2012

Are you really living?

What are you living for?  The more I see the "men" of our day wasting their lives on useless things the more I am condemned for the time that I have wasted.  My son and my wife are depending on my labor for their well being, for their future, and for their spiritual growth.  How selfish to waste my time on things that only please me and have no value when I should be teaching, studying, working, LIVING the life God intended for me to live.

I recently saw a father teaching his son.  It was a perfect example of the correct method of how to teach your children as you "walk by the way".  He and his son had just sat down after playing a game and he started quizzing him.  However, he was not quizzing him in the things of God, he was testing his knowledge of professional sports!  I was amazed and saddened at the vast knowledge that this little boy had of all different players and teams of these games!  Amazed because of how much a child can remember and learn at a young age and saddened because I knew how many precious moments were wasted in filling his head with these useless things when it could have been filled with the knowledge of God and a zeal for his kingdom.   When we understand what the goal is, we realize we don't have time to waste our lives on things that don't move towards that goal.

I found this video by Paul Washer on a blog I follow, http://sonsoftheremnant.blogspot.com, and it stirred me afresh to be a man of God.  As the Romonowitz brothers said on their blog, if this doesn't stir you, nothing will.

I am so thankful that God has given us a task to do, a life to live, and a WAR to fight! 

"This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare;"  - 1 Timothy 1:18

Even in farming we have to ask, "Why are we doing this?"  If it is for any other reason that to advance the kingdom of God and bring glory to him then it is for the wrong reasons.

Every area of life, including farming, is to be brought under his kingship.  And our farms should be staging grounds for our children to learn how to fight this war, refreshing places to come after fighting battles, and even battle grounds for the souls men when we have unbelievers into our homes to witness to them through hospitality.

May God give us the courage to be strong and play the part of men.  May he give us the grace to lead our families and work his earth in a way that would please him and advance his kingdom!

To Christ be the glory!

--The Farmer


No comments:

Post a Comment