Friday, January 20, 2012

Work...God's Gift




One of my favorite aspects of farming is that you always have opportunities to work with your hands and build things! There is an intrinsic reward in being able to work with your hands and to be able to SEE the fruit of your labors. In this world of tecno flashy computer driven lifestyles; it is a privilege to be blessed to have an occupation that involves God-honoring manual labor.

There is a distorted view of work in our day. Work was instituted by God even before the fall. It is a good thing that we should embrace and not try to avoid. In fact, the first time someone worked on this earth it was God himself. 

Genesis 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

John 5:17 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.



Work is wonderful! This is something that I have come to learn a little more since I had a job where my work was all on the computer and didn't involve any physical labor. I don't think that anyone who has a job that doesn't involve physical labor is doing something wrong or they are "less holy" or any such thing as that. I am simply saying that there is a joy in being able to work with your hands and produce things that you can tangibly touch and see.

I found out what the mindset of most people was, when I was first considering becoming a farmer. I was young and just married and people would ask me, "So what do you think you would like to do with your life (or some type of statement like that)"? To which I would reply, "I would love to be a farmer". Almost always the initial response was, they would give a look of surprise and then say something like, "That sure is a lot of work". They would always encourage me to find a job where I could use my "head" and not my "hands" (which is a misconception about farming and would be repudiated if anyone who said that would try farming). I think a lot of people have a wrong view of work because of the examples that they have seen. They have seen people who hated their jobs or were so obsessed with their jobs, that they became "work-a-holics" therefore they conclude that they should avoid something that people hate or put ahead of everything else. But true Biblical work is something to be valued, not avoided. We are actually exhorted to work with our hands in scripture.

1 Thesselonians 4:11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;

Farming is the way that I wish to fulfill God's command to take domminion of the earth by working with my hands. And as a bonus blessing provided by our creator; I get to look back after a day of working and see what has allowed me to accomplish. Farming has to be one of the most rewarding vocations available. You get to see your garden flourishing, your animals growing, and your family working, all because God has given us the power and privilege to work....and to work with our families.



I am so excited to already be able to have my son alongside me while I work. Although he can't really do anything right now :) he loves to be out there with me and watch daddy work. He wants to pick up the screws when he sees me pick them up or grab the screw gun when I set it down...he wants to be like daddy. And in a very short while he is going to be a great help to me. I pray that God will give me the grace to be the father that can train him up to be a hard working man for the kingdom.

Here's the result of the labor going on at Generation Acres Farm.



We used the Salatin type pen last year to raise our broiler chickens in, which is only 2 feet tall. I had been reading about these type of hoop pens and when I saw them in action at Noah Sander's farm last week I was sold on the idea. You can actually walk in them! After chasing chickens in a 2 foot tall pen that is a big plus.






5' PVC chicken feeders. This will make keeping enough feed for the chickens much easier than having two or three 2 foot feeders in the pen.

Thank God for WORK!

Proverbs 14:23 In all labor there is profit...

3 comments:

  1. It's exciting just to know y'all. I love the photo of Marshall watching you work, Ben. That's great. And this message is amazing. It's something the Lord has been teaching me lately as well. Can't wait to see this year's harvest. Maybe I'll get a chance to come help can some of it... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Brittney would love to have you as a canner. We definitely plan on doing a lot of that this year. God has been teaching me on the area of work as well. Work is a BLESSING. Especially seeing people around me who greatly desire to work and can't...due to health...gives me a whole new perspective on the privilege of work.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read the article yet, but just by the title I can tell you are spot on "Work...God's Gift".

    Look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete