Thursday, February 9, 2012

A farmer's wife....first cow experience

Hi it's me Brittney, the farmer's wife here blogging today. I will also be posting my new experiences about sustainable healthy living and farming here at generation acres. A bit about me..... I am married to the most amazing, hardworking, loving, god-fearing man I know, getting to work along side him, furthering the vision the Lord has called him to. I love my role as wife and mother (to our precious baby boy Marshall) and learning new skills in homemaking and farm-life. I have always dreamed of living in the country and my wonderful God has saw fit to give me my Ben-Charming to make that dream come true.
Come along and read about my adventures in farming (not to mention a few blunders along the way ; ) ).




Monday we bought our first milk cow, a light brown and white Jersey named Alyse.

She was a beautiful cow, sweet and gentle, halter broke and produced lots of milk. Great! Right? Wrong. We got her home and were getting her settled ( I could just taste that fresh creamy milk already!), to our dismay we found out she did NOT like to be milked. I truly did want to learn to milk a cow but Ben didn't want me to learn on a cow that would try and kick my head off (me either for that matter). Praise the Lord Dad Nelson has had lots of experience milking and has that "special touch" with cows *cough.......cow kicks him...he kicks cow :)*, so we needn't have worried that she get mastitis from not being milked.

We decided to put Alyse up for sale on Craigslist and prayed the Lord would find her a home. Meanwhile we found another Jersey, bred and due in six weeks that we bought. She isn't nearly so pretty as Alyse, but she seems to be very gentle while being milked. We have named her Truly. She likes to be sang to, "Truuuly scrumptious, your milk will be truuuly scrumptious". :)

There were six or so people interested in Alyse but the first couple who came to see her wanted her the very next day! We told them our trouble with her and everything but they said that would be fine because they have a special gate that encloses the cow where she can't move no matter how terrible a milker she is. The Lord is so good and providing what we need. Not only did the couple buy her, but we had the joy of sharing a meal together. Come to find out they are like-minded about taking dominion for the Lord in health and farming too! They were a wealth of information on nutrition and resources.

Though Alyse was not meant for us to keep, God worked all things together for our good. Praise be to God. And we still got several gallons of that delicious wholesome rich creamy raw milk I have been dreaming of.

~ the Farmers Wife ~

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhh!!! My best friend is a farmer's wife. It's just like we always talked about in those late night sleepovers.

    You're such an inspiration. Loved this post. Can't wait to help you milk your cow. <3

    Love,
    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. : ) And I can't wait for you to BE HERE to milk my cow.

    Love and miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading about someone else's farming experiences! It's neat to see how God works out the details for us in everyday things.

    Blessings to your family! Come visit again, soon.

    Abbi

    ReplyDelete